As immigration reform is debated in Washington DC, hundreds of immigrants are deported out of Philadelphia because Mayor Nutter, District Attorney Williams, and President Judge Neifield give federal immigration officials a license to access to the Philadelphia Police Department’s database. This summer, we hold 40 days of action, fasting, and prayer to demand that:
- The City of Philadelphia immediately stops the collaboration between the Philadelphia Police Department and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) which directly results in unjust mass deportation. City officials have the power to stop this collaboration and should do so to keep families and communities together.
- Pennsylvania elected representatives vote YES for just and humane federal immigration reform.
From June 22 – July 31, 2013, New Sanctuary Movement members, supports, and allied faith communities embark on 40 days of action, fasting, and prayer to demand immigrant justice at the local and federal level. While we go without food, millions of immigrants are separated from their families for indefinite periods of time because of unjust immigration policy. At this critical time, we draw upon our powerful faith traditions and the legacy of social movements to call for 40 days of:
- Public demonstrations, rallies, and vigils
- Fasting by immigrants, allies, and faith leaders
- Prayerful events in Philadelphia-area faith communities
- Meetings with public officials
- Workshops on spiritual non-violence and immigrant justice
- Public testimonies by immigrant families facing deportation